On Thursday night, Donna introduced me to the wonderful world of tatting. She taught me the basics: double stitch, picot, join, chain, and ring.
This project was started and completed Friday morning. I had a lot of fun making it.
|This is my first completed (minus tucking in the final strings) project. I needed youtube’s help to learn a few more steps for this project.|
When I first tried joining the last petal of my flower to the first petal of my flower it ended up twisted. So I undid my join and started hunting for a video. I found one that showed me how to make a folded join to complete a circular motif. I also learned how to add a bead to the center of a tatted ring, which I practiced at the end of my bracelet chain. I also stumbled across a fantastic way to hide tail threads, unfortunately, it was after I had already finished my bracelet. So until I get around to buying a special needle, my tails will remain loose on this one.
|Close up of the flower details.|
|Another shot of my first complete flower.|
On to project number two, which I started Saturday. This project uses the pattern found here, except that I’ve added an extra picot on the two outer rings of the clover.
|Project #2 – Rambling Flowers Pattern|
I started this project with two threads and used the thread hiding method found here. I also learned how to open a closed ring, because I accidentally closed the center ring of the second clover a picot and five double stitches sooner than I should have. I wouldn’t want to make a habit out of reopening closed rings, but it wasn’t as painful as the tutorial made it sound.
I am very excited to work on this project some more this morning and, after church, I will be meeting with the gal that taught me to show her my progress and to tat some more.